RYA Day Skipper Theory
Client: Aspiring Navigators
Info: 40+ hour classroom course
RYA Day Skipper is a comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising. The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. We teach it as a series of evening sessions, or as an intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferaft
On successful completion of your RYA Day Skipper Theory (classroom) course your name, certificate number and date of issue will be stored for up to 7 years. This information allows us to verify or replace your certificate if required.