RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Theory – Classroom
Client: More Experienced Navigators
Info: 40+ hour classroom Course
This RYA course is advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper course or equivalent. This is an advanced course that equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages. It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
As with the Day Skipper shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. It can be covered as a series of evening sessions,or as an intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- review of collision regulations
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
- Passage planning
Day Skipper theory or equivalent.